Wednesday 6 November 2013

My Top Ten Horror Movies

I'm one of those people who can't seem to get enough of horror films, I own such an extensive amount that it's become borderline obsessive.

I just can't turn down a good adrenaline filled horror flick. 

I did some research into some of the reasons for why people love the horror genre so much, the results were mixed. People love horror films for many reasons, some people use them as an excuse to get close and personal with someone while others love the blood and gore, but for me it's the adrenaline rush.   

According to Margarita Tartakovsky gender plays a huge role in the reasons for why people watch horror films. "In one study males liked a horror movie more when they saw it with a female who was scared, and females liked the movie more when they saw it with a male who wasn’t scared." 

So why do I always find the wimps?!?


Halloween has come and gone but you don't need a time of year to watch a horror! So I thought I would offer my top 10 movies to my readers.

So lets get to it, I thought I'd let you all in on my top 10 favourite horror movies of all time:
Prepare for ultimate epicness!

10: Carrie (1976 version)
I'll kick this countdown off with a true classic film that will never have an expiry date, Carrie is by far one of the best horror films I have had the pleasure of watching. It is based upon the life of a young, timid 17-year-old girl who discovers that she has telekinesis, she later uses her advantageous powers against those who have abused her.

If you are looking for a tense thriller that puts you on edge, then this is the horror flick for you.

9: Cloverfield
I loved this style of film! Something about watching a monster destroy a city from the point of view of a hand-held camera strikes me as immensely entertaining and appealing. The audience follow the protagonist; an innocent bystander who gets caught up in the catastrophic events in New York city.  

8: Alien vs Predator
Not typically valued as the best film out of the alien and Predator series, but if you enjoy watching two alien species fight until the death (like me) then there is no shame in watching it. I admit this is one of my guilty pleasures that I keep to myself, until now so don't judge me.

7: 30 days of night
An alaskan town is plunged into darkness for a month, deadly incidents start to unravel as the film progresses. The small town is attacked by a gang of relentless and bloodthirsty vampires, a horror film of true gore. In my opinion this the mix of aggressive vampires and gore add up to an amazing film, what more could I ask for in a horror genre?

6: The descent
A film that petrifies me, my worst fear is being trapped, definitely aimed at those adrenaline junkies out there. A caving expeditions goes horribly wrong, the explorers being trapped and slowly get stalked and picked off by a new species of predator, in the complete darkness of the cave.

5: Quarantine
A television reporter and her cameraman end up quarantined within an apartment building after an outbreak of a mysterious disease. This flick is definitely not for film snobs out there, it's a great horror for those who are simply looking for an average, easy to watch terror.

4: The Amityville Horror
A family become terrorised by demonic forces after moving in to a home that had become witness to a mass murder. This film is definitely for the ladies, especially if you are looking for a film where Ryan Reynolds is constantly on frame with his torso on show.

3: No country for Old Men
A true masterpiece of a film! A hunter stumbles across a drug deal gone wrong, two million dollars are at stake. If you are like me in thinking that the bad guy in Skyfall was one of the best of all time, then you should seriously consider this film.

2: The grudge 
A nurse in Tokyo is exposed to a supernatural curse, one that causes the person to experience powerful rage before claiming their own life and spreading to the next unlucky victim. This film is the reason for why I still religiously check whether my wardrobe is closed at night, this film creeped me out and it still haunts me to this day.

1: Donnie Darko
A troubled teenager is cursed with visions of a large bunny rabbit that manipulates him causing him to commit several crimes. The ultimate physiological horror that fucks with your head, you need a degree in order to understand its intellectual complexity.

I hope you enjoyed my top 10 horror films!
Follow me on twitter @lauraanneash
Email me laura.anne.ash@gmail.com



1 comment:

  1. Nice blog you've got here beauty ! I'll keep an eye on it ! I love you writing style !

    Never seen the number one horror movie of yours, I'll try to see if I can pick it up somewhere ;)

    Cheers !

    TheCrazyHeadGamer

    ReplyDelete